Wednesday, May 25, 2011

"Tornado Central, this is Hannah speaking..."

Generally I don't write about my childhood. No particular reason why I just don’t. But as I reflect back on my evening last night I am reminded of a day roughly 22 years ago.

As I was sitting in my bathtub covered up with pillows, blankets and the dogs, I listened to the tornado sirens going off. It made me think back about the last time I was in this same situation. 1989 a huge tornado came through Somerville County. I was about 6 years old and mom had my brother and I safe and secure in the middle bathroom of our old ranch house. The news blaring and mom yelling at my father for running back and forth from each side of the house on "look out." I remember mom letting my brother and I peak our head out once just so we could see what a tornado looked like in person. By the grace of God the tornado missed our house. However the hay barn and our blue mini plastic swimming pool were not so lucky. The tornado moved the hay barn a couple pastures away and demolished it. As for the pool, it's still MIA. Come to think of it mom and dad never got us another one to replace it either. I digress. So the more things change the more they stay the same, right? Last night I was still camped out in the middle of the house in a windowless room just like before except this time I was alone. No TV blaring because the cable had gone out but watching the storm come in via WFAA’s interactive radar while talking to my mother on my cellphone and Facebooking. Ahh, technology!

No comments:

Post a Comment