Monday, July 18, 2011

Building a life together

July 8, 2011 marks a very important day in my life. See on this day Jordan asked me to marry him. From this day forward I no longer have a boyfriend but a fiancé, soon-to-be husband. From this day forward it is no longer me, it is "us". From this day forward I get to start building a life with my best friend and the man I love.

It was a quiet Friday evening. I came home from work to see some flowers on the table and him preparing dinner (No red flags here). I had plans to go work out so I changed clothes and headed out. When I got home he had Wade Bowen (my favorite) playing and we cooked steaks out on the grill. I went out to the garage to get us some drinks and found our wood pile scattered out. (A little background: Jordan and I are project people. On the weekends we normally have some sort of wood working project going. ) I went back inside and asked him why the cedar was all over the garage. He said, “I thought after dinner we could go look at our scraps and see if we could get us a project going for this weekend.” “Okay”, I thought. This is really no different than other Friday nights we’ve had before.

After we cleaned up the kitchen he told me to go on out to the garage and start brainstorming projects he would be there in a minute. So unaware that anything was up, I went to the garage and started looking around. In a minute he joined me, laughing at me as I try to come up with interesting projects to build. After a little bit he comes up behind me and gives me a hug and says, “I thought maybe we could just build a life together.” Of course, me still being unaware, responds with “well honey, I don’t think we have enough wood for that.” He turned me around, got down on one knee and asked me to marry him -with me still in my workout clothes mind you! In the midst of trying to hug him to death and crying tears of joy I said “YES”.

We went back in the house to visit and to try the ring on. I had gotten so caught up in the moment that I didn’t even get the ring from him. It fit perfectly and is beautiful! We sat a talked for a while and then started calling our family.

The proposal was just like him; everything I could have asked for and more. A complete surprise and absolutely perfect for us; I will never, no matter how much I rewrite this, be able to describe it well enough. We are so blessed with loving families that were so excited for us and that have been such wonderful examples of what love looks like. This has been such a wonderful reminder that it’s all in God’s timing…glad I didn’t rush Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment