Monday, May 17, 2010

Goat Roast 2010

I found this old blog that I wrote back in 2007 when I was living in Electra, Texas. A couple of weekends I attended my fourth Electra Goat BBQ, the one event a year I promise to always go back and visit. In the spirit of the event, I am reposting this blog with some photos of the 2010 Goat BBQ.

It Really Is A Nice Town
I live in Electra,Texas population 100- okay I don't actually know how many people live here but it isn't a large community in size. About every 38 minutes according to Blane a train runs through town. The small amount of traffic we do have gets built up at the four way stop. As the train bellows its horn through town, I feel like I have to sale this place to my friends so they will love it as much as I do. I appreciate this town for many reasons. I love the fact that there are only two places to eat and one place to shop. I love how the grocery store just opened up and they close early in the evenings. I love the people that I have met here-until you meet them I can't explain it. The family atmosphere that this town offers. I love stopping by the chamber to see Nana and meeting up with Mr. B. Always running into Carol at the Dollar General or buying two dollars worth of pointless crap and having more fun with it with one of my best friends. Passing Scotty at the Conoco in the mornings. Riding the back roads with my two favorite boys having throwing contest or looking for antiques ;) I love how lunch at the Circle L turns into a reunion for me and those people I have only met once, but remember my name. I encourage anyone with the smallest piece of small town in their heart to find one like this and at least, visit and make a friend or two. It is far from glamorous but when the sun is beginning to set over the wheat fields and the oil pumps---"It really is a nice town!"



2010 Cocked-N-Locked Cooking Team

1 comment: